Trout in the Sunshine - Bagging on the River Irwell

After my last successful outing catching chublets on the River Irwell I decided to try and replicate these proceedings a little further upstream on a different run and hopefully add some more useful information to the collective.

The run I had chosen had various characteristics. At the head of the run the current is very fast and shallow it then calms down a bit and splits into two currents, one on the near bank and the other on the far bank. The currents then split again one down stream and the other back on its self forming an eddy on the far bank.
“ Plenty to go at here I thought “ . . . . .
LOL

To be honest with you all I have fished this run before but the last floods had changed the river considerably .I fished this run last  October and did quite well. It was the Acolyte christening blog,  the day resulting in some nice chub and good brownie.
Below is the link to the “ Acolyte Christening Blog “
http://purplepeanut007.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/acolyte-plus-chrstening-river-irwell.html?m=1
I chose a Feather Inlay Irwell Stick for this run.

 ( That’s a mouth full. . . Lol )
An “ Irwell Stick “ due to the initial fast current of the run. The buoyancy of the float will aid presentation.

I had a few exploratory runs and found that my float favoured the inside run. So, without further ado i carefully started yo feed the inside run, hoping to concentrate most of my feed in that area and see how the session developed.

I fed the run for about 20 minutes while I ate a bar of chocolate being careful not to mix the two ingredients up . . . .  !!!!!!!

First trot down on my posh float yielded a biteless trot, as did the 5th and 6th trot. I carried on regardless, having faith in this run as I had caught well on a previous outing here. Even my confidence was shaken when after 20 trots down I was still struggling to get a bite !!!!

“ I will up my feed and have a few more
minutes “

I thought, trying to remain positive.

This brought a good bite, which I missed because I could hardly believe I had got one . . . Lol.
 I tried again. Half way down the run my little red “ Irwell Stick “ buried and I was in. I knew it was a trout straight away due the head shaking I could feel through the line.
 A minute later a nice little brownie was in the net. Filled with renewed  confidence I carried on with the increased feed. After a couple more trots I had another, then another, then another.

They where now queueing up to be caught.

I have never had as many brown trout form one pool on the River Irwell. . . .

EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!

A young family appeared behind me enjoying a walk in the late autumn sunshine. The father asked if his toddler could come an look at one of my trout. Having just caught another I beckoned the pair over to have a closer look ad the little, spotted hunter I held in my hands.

The look on the little lads face was one I will never tire of seeing. It reminded me of my own fascination of aquatic life when I was around 5 years old.

It was a mixture of joy, wonder and apprehension.

It was a marvellous sight to behold for an ageing angler and with out doubt  made my day.

I said to the father

“ That's it now pal . . . . . . He is hooked “

The fathers reply said it all for me. . .. .

“ If paying for fishing equipment is the only thing I have to worry about with this little one you have done me a great survive pal “

The pair thanked me for my time, met up with mum and sister at the top of the bank and carried on with their morning walk.

I thought that was a great answer from a man obviously thinking about a safe, outdoor hobby for his son in the future.

After trout number 12 !!!!!!!

I decided to the to try the two awkward runs on the far side. Both looked really chubby.
 The anticipation was building in me and I managed to manoeuvre my float into the general area where the current splits into two runs, the far bank glide and the eddy. I couldn’t chose which way the float went. The first time the current took it to the glide. With rod held high to keep it off the complicated surface wanderings of the central run I carefully guided my float along the far bank.
It is a lovely way to fish, targeting an area an making your float do and go where you want it to.
It was getting to the end of the trot and I held back hard, lifting the bait off the bottom.
Just as the hook bait was reaching its zenith my rod arched over and I was into a nice fish.

 No time to watch my float bob gracefully under the surface. This was a savage take and the fish bolted for overhanging branches on the opposite side.

“ Gotta be a chub this  . . . . . . . “
 I thought as I could hear the line singing in the slight breeze which came from know where.
 I was on sturdy tackle, my Abu 704’s clutch did its job as I halted the first run before she could reach the safety of the far side undergrowth. She turned, heading for the main flow. It was then I felt the tell tail head shake of one of the resident brownies !!!!!!



A little deflated I concentrated on bringing the fish to the net as it was a good size and a worthy opponent. Once I had manoeuvred her past the shopping trolley (seriously ) to my left she was into the safer, faster water in front of me. This helped to tire her further and soon she was safely in the waiting landing net.

Not the chub I had targeted and not the largest trout I have had from this swim but a cracking fight for a modest Irwell brownie. I didn’t way her. I just took a couple of quick pictures and slipped her back, hopefully to produce next years generation.

I used a disgorger stick for perspective as my rig had just tangled up.



I did manage to get my “ Irwell Stick Float “ into the far bank eddy run a couple of times but bites where hard to come by. Having missed only one bite here and with no others appearing I decided to call it a day.

I was tired now. I’m not as young as I used to be. I did have plans to have a few hours on another forgotten beat of the Irwell further upstream but the stomach was rumbling and I was off to my mams for a catch up with

 “ Normskie & Salford Pete “

A good day for River Irwell standards I didn’t catch my target fish and the species variety seems to reduce the further up the river you travel.

Lets see what the winter brings .

 My favourite time for river fishing. 😊

Until the next time . . .

 TTFN . . . .




Peanut.

If you would like to look at all of the hand crafted floats I make please click on the link below and it will take you to my float page.


Join Salford Friendly Anglers for free and help us fight pollution.

http://salfordfriendlyanglers.co.uk/join/




Comments

Popular Posts

HANDCRAFTED FLOATS & FISHING EQUIPMENT 2021-2024

Mini Driftbeaters....The Christening

River Irwell PB On A New Mini- Alloy Stem Avon