New Shallow Water Stick Testing Session Plus An Irwell Grayling

 Got a call this weekend from John Derbyshire asking to fish a certain stretch of the River Irwell.

We arrived on the river at 09.00 I set up the new

"Shallow Water Loaded Stick Float "

and my Acolyte Plus.

 ( New section aquired). 

🙄

The run was only two and a half foot deep so ideal for these floats which are almost fully loaded.

The Ginger Assassin was on the next peg up with a MK I Irwell stick.

(You have that some years pal)

so at least we could take the piss out of each other if we blanked.....lol

The previous night I had been grayling hunting (pics below) on a stretch higher up river so I had a rig nearly ready.

The liquidised bread went in first followed by some seed. Maggots  and seed would the be dripped in constantly with the odd ball of bread to top up the swim when it died a little.

Basically I caught from start to finish.

09.00 - 14.00.

Plenty long enough for me as I am not getting any younger.

All caught on a centerpin and stick float set up.


Most of my net were dace to five ounces but i did have a sprinkling of lovely roach to 6oz which was a nice surprise.

No bigger fish unfortunately but it was a bit a chuck on the Irwell which in its self is an acheivement.

I had 120 + fish for a guesstimated weight of 12-14 lb.

Some of my fish were 1-2ouncers so brought my over all weight down a bit but i wasn't complaining....lol

Derbyshire had about forty fish but he was tring other methods looking for a monster chub which have been caught here.

All in a a good session. 

The three main points about the float are, it keeps its line really well. Important on this stretch as it gets a bad breeze blowing down the river.

It casts like a bullet due to the encorpotated extra weight.

It only takes 5 no 6 shot to take it right to the tip. A heavier float with bulk shot would have resulted in less fish for sure.

Anyway,

Casterman has one and so does Craig. Lets see what they can winkle out in the next couple of weeks.

Here are a few pics from last nights grayling hunt....

4 landed 5 lost.....wirery little bugger.....lol



Had a trout to which are becoming less common.

PS: Saw some one on the river catch something a bit special today.....but thats their tale to tell .....if they even want to !!!!

TTFN



  Peanut. 

Please subscribe if you would like regular updates of my adventures with the floats I make.

 If you would like to look at my handcrafted floats click on the link below.     https://purplepeanut007.blogspot.com/2021/02/handcrafted-floats-fishing-equipment.html?m=1

    Join our club......Salford Friendly Anglers...........Its FREE  
!!!!!!! 


Comments

Popular Posts

HANDCRAFTED FLOATS & FISHING EQUIPMENT 2021-2024

Mini Driftbeaters....The Christening

River Irwell PB On A New Mini- Alloy Stem Avon