Manchester Pike Fishing - Dropshotting Rod 03/01/2015


Sarah - Sam & Mike - A Chance Meeting

The Mrs was off to Bury today to get some bits and bobs as we were going out larging it. Which nowadays adds up to going out for a curry at the Lime Tree Indian Restaurant in Prestwich - Very nice to - ( There is your Plug Johnny. Free beers tonight ....... lol )

I usually work on Saturday but due to the Christmas holidays I was off and getting under Mrs Peanuts feet.

" Why don't you bugger off for a walk " says Mrs Nut........Well you lot know me. Off for a walk was the peanut with my 10g dropshot rod, a telescopic landing net and my lure bag in the boot of my car..........lol.

My setup. 

Berkley 10g lure rod Rod.

Shimano 1010 Reel & 6lb Maxima Line Plus A 15 lb Trace.


I stopped at Elton tackle in Radcliffe - your plug to fellas ....lol - for some traces and spare lures then I high tailed it off to the local reservoir for a spot of lure fishing before "The one Who Must Be Obeyed " got home....

I literally had an hour to fish so I set up in the car park and nearly ran to the first peg only to find another angler piking on it. " Dam " I thought, never mind, so I started working my way around the water. A little deflated I had got about three hundred yards around the place when a little lad approaches me ans says " Have you caught anything Mr " , " No son " I replied a little sheepishly. The family was walking off together when my little rod hooped round and I was connected to the first pike of the day. " I've got one " I shouted over to the lad and he sprinted over to see my monster. Alas, it was a small jack pike of around a pound in weight but the boy was thrilled at my catch and we made many excited comments both at the same time . We both had our heads down, laughing as I un-hooked the jack not noticing his mother approach. Now, I looked at this lad as I thought I recognised him " How old are you son " " Nine " he says. His mother stops and says " What fish is that" I looked up and instantly recognised her. " Sarah, Sarah Lewis "........." Bloody hell its Cootesie " she said giggling. I used to drink with her and her husband in The St Margret's Tavern in Prestwich many moons ago. We both laughed and had a quick chat about whats happening in our lives. I tried to get another pike for Sam but the Toothies wouldn't play ball. We said our goodbyes and then went our separate ways.


This Little Fella Gave Sam & I Great Entertaient

 It was s good day when the fishing comes second. Ray my pal, Sarahs husband passed away a few years ago now, he was only 37 years old. It was great to see Rays son Sam......., how quick they grow up still amazes me.

I walked back to the car trying all the likely spots to no avail until I came to the last peg. " One last cast " I said. That saying is becoming my lucky charm. After 4 turns of my Shimano 1010 reel there was a heavy THUMP on my rod and I was in for a hell of ride.

The reel was making that beautiful sound, the sound of a fish a little to large for your setup screaming of with your line and making your clutch sing. I don't know how long I played her for either, such was my concentration on the battle. After yesterdays lost fish there was no way I was going to loose this beauty. So, very slowly I stared gaining line. I then looked at the spool on my reel. I just stared for a second, " Oh my god ", I was down to the backing line. Now I was really worried. I had no idea that she had taken that much line off me. She was the boss. I had to hang on and play the long game. Very slowly I tired her out in the deep water before sliding my cheepo Aldi net underneath her ......yesssss. Result. At first glance I thought she could be close to my pb but I think I got a little excited.It was just then that I noticed a couple a pram and their dogs walking by. With a quick shout to the fella he agreed to come over and take couple of pics. As you know , my selfies are not the best.
( Are they Neilpeel pmsl)

A good day turnd in to a fantastic day all because of a little bit of persistance

Pleased With This Lady On A 10 g Lure Rod And 6 lb Line.



Guess The Weight Please Fellas, No Scales.

Remember,

You"ll catch nowt if your not out.


Join Salford Friendly Anglers For Free.

http://salfordfriendlyanglers.co.uk/join/



TTFN,

Peanut.








Comments

  1. Hi cootse i live in Radcliffe Turks Road and i fish the Irwell, I would like to get to know the stretches better. Stick and feeder. best wishes Smiffy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya pal,

    Have you joined Salford Friendly Anglers yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the link to join Salford Friendly Anglers and they have their own lakes and stretches if the River Irwell. Its free to join, yes FREE.

    http://salfordfriendlyanglers.co.uk/join/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Any comments here please.

Thanks.

Popular Posts

HANDCRAFTED FLOATS & FISHING EQUIPMENT 2021-2024

Lathe Made Pike Bobber - First Effort. . . .😊

River Irwell PB On A New Mini- Alloy Stem Avon