River Croal Chub - Another Adventure - October 2014

River Croal Chubbing - A First For The Peanut.

I've bee sensible lately and instead of burning all my brass on anew Drennan Acolyte I bought some Ron Thompson Neoprene Waders instead. I have needed these for a while. There is nothing worse when one of your pals tells u he has found a new banker peg and the dredded words come forth - but you need waders - well ..... I have now so ....... Up ya frock boys ...... :P

 

(Salford Pete said I look like an ageing Teleytubby.....lol )


I decided to try a new river to me - The Croal at Mosses Gate - This is a River Irwell tributary. I didn' Even know it was a seperate river - I got there about 14.00 and was set up for about 14.30.
Fishing with my trusty 14 ft daiwa connoisssuer X, centerpin reel, 6 NO 4 Stick float, 16s hook and 4lb main line I quite fanced my chances of a chub or to today.

 I had been offering some loose feed while settting up, hopefully, to get a fish first cast ............it was not to be , but, not to worry ........ I got one on my second cast. A lovely spotted brownie. He gave a typical brownie fight with a little tail walking near the net bfore he was finally beaten. A good start, hopefully a chub or two may move in later in the session.

My chosen swim was a lot shallower than I antisipated, about two and a half feet droping off further down the run to about 4 feet so I set my float to about 4 feet and feathered the float down the run breaking the pin withe my finger to keep the hook off the river bed in the initial, shallower part of the swim, letting the float settle and run down with the flow at normal pace in the deeper part of the run.

Fishing hemp, maggot and a little liquidised bread I had about 12 trout to about 1.5lbs  but unfortunarely no chub arrived. All the trout gave a very good account of themselves and looked like they had never been caught before.A good couple of hours spent I recon and I would recommened the waders up to now anyway. £55.00 brand new - e-bay ;)

Here is a pic of upstream of my peg.

My old man turnd up to watch for a while so I also had my own white haird Sherpa to carry some of my gear back to my car ........ Cheers pops. Bring your gear next time .............PMSL


My dad " Salford Pete " below.........

Get out there fellas. There are lots of fish in our northen rivers......but

YOU'll  CATCH NOWT IF YOUR NOT OUT......

Join Salford Friendly Anglers For Free.

http://salfordfriendlyanglers.co.uk/join/




TTFN

Peanut.








Comments

Popular Posts

HANDCRAFTED FLOATS & FISHING EQUIPMENT 2021-2024

Mini Driftbeaters....The Christening

River Irwell PB On A New Mini- Alloy Stem Avon