Roach & Dace. A Red Letter Day On The River Irwell


Today I had another session on the Littleton Road section of the River Irwell In Salford.
The sun was bright and baring down on me so I wasn't too hopeful of a good catch but as Mike Duddy says
" You have got to be in it to win it "
!!!!!!!!!!
Rod and reel for the session was a 14 foot Acolyte and an Okuma Centerpin
My end tackle was a hand made 10 No6 stick float, 16s hook and 4 lb main line.
I was feeding straight from the moment I arrived and on my first trot down hooked into a nice dace of around 3 ounces.
I had nothing then for around 10 minutes so used the time to alter my shot pattern and depth, fine tuning my set up for when they arrived.
( Here's hoping )

The continuous feeding of maggot and hemp was slowly starting to work and bites started to materialise.
😁
Small, sharp bobs at first but as I increased the feed more positive bites started to show, then a fish.
A nicely conditioned roach.
 😁
I was getting into my rhythm now and bites were coming every third trot down.
The dace were lovely chunky fish and gave a nice account of themselves on light tackle.
Upping my feed once more the bites started coming thick and fast and
I turned in to match mode !!!!!!
This lasted for an hour, 
it was one a chuck
!!!!!!!
My concentration was broken by a visit from
Mr & Mrs Salford Pete.
This is their old stomping ground and
was good to see them even if it did reduce my catch rate
....LOL
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
My mum went home but my dad stayed for the last hour. 
I felt good to be in the bank with him in Salford on the Irwell,  a river he said he would never catch a fish from in his life time.
!!!!!!!!
My match mode was was broken with an elementary mistake by myself .
An almighty tangle ensued on my float as I dropped a fish off, this put a halt to the 
bagging hour as I re-rigged another float.
Ten or so more fish follow but that was it.
I had to pack up and be home soon. 
I was VERY reluctant to leave as the fish were still responding.
😞😞😤
I phoned Mike Duddy up to let him know how well the day had gone and he asked for a trophy shot to show you all how well the place can fish, even in the wrong conditions. So here you go.
13 lb of prime River Irwell roach, dace and chub from Littleton road Salford.
Mike and Salford Friendly Anglers have put a lot of work in to this section of river over the last few years so get out there and have a fish.
I hope to see some of you on the bank soon.

TTFN


  Peanut. 

 If you would like to look at my handcrafted  click on the link below.     https://purplepeanut007.blogspot.com/2017/01/handcrafted-floats-and-fishing.html?m=1   

    Join our club......Its FREE  !!!!!!! 




Comments

Popular Posts

HANDCRAFTED FLOATS & FISHING EQUIPMENT 2021-2024

Mini Driftbeaters....The Christening

River Irwell PB On A New Mini- Alloy Stem Avon