Match Fishing With " Bald Eagle " & New Friends.

I have mentioned on previous posts that I have been persuaded to fish some matches on few commercial fisheries with my mates
" Bald Eagle "
&
" Mumfy "
Eagle and I used to pair up in the early nineties and win a few quid together on some northern opens but home and work pressures have kept me away from this scene for quite some time now.
A mutual friend.....
" Mumfy "
Invited us both to
" Moss Farm Fisheries "
In Irlam.
I have never fished it before but Eagle said . . .
and I quote. . . .
" If you don't frame on this knock up Peanut 
I will snap all your fancy rods and burn all pretty your floats "
 !!!!!!!!
😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲
I thought that was a little harsh considering I haven't fished a match for over 12 years
!!!!!!!!
Lol
πŸ˜‰
Eagle picked me up and I was on time for a change.
As we drove to Moss Farm we reminisced about fishing the Ribble together when we were kids.
I was always still asleep when he used to knock on for me because we had both been in the pub the night before.
So to get me up he would get the ladders off his works van and bang on my bedroom window to get me out of my alcohol induced slumber
🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣
🍺🍻🍺
No such trouble today. I was up early and ready to do battle with him once more.
😁
As we pulled up near the cafe we saw
" Mumfy "
He was another pal from the pub who fishes these marches regularly and had kindly invited us both for the day.
A large portion of banter followed as he introduced us to his fishing crew.
All the guys where friendly, funny and seamed like a good bunch to go fishing with, they also had some colourful nicknames.
" Ronny The Bastard "
being the cleanest one.
😲😲😲😲
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
🀣
This was a small roving match with 10 anglers and 11 pegs book.
We drew our numbers out of the bag.
Number one would have first choice of the pegs and 10 would have the last choice.
The eleventh was a spare peg as someone had dropped out.
I had no idea where the fliers where and where was rubbish so I was relying on Eagles experience to help me choose.
I drew 3 so I had third choice and as luck would have it 11, an end peg, was still free.....
I looked at Eagle......he looked at me and we both said 11 at the same time.
Lmao
🀣🀣🀣🀣
John drew last and walked up my way.......
Some more good luck !!!!!!
pegs 9 and 10 were both free so he choose peg 9 giving us both a spare peg his on his right and me on my left as well as an end peg for me.
" You had better catch a few fish peanut with a draw like the one you have just had"
Said Eagle. . . . .
and the banter lasted all match
!!!!!!!
😁
I wanted to try out one of my new floats today, one of the
" Carp Stalkers "
In conjunction with the
" The Creature Reacher "
http://purplepeanut007.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/creature-reacher-custom-made-hand-built.html?m=1

I set this up for down the side to my right where overhanging bushes gave plenty of cover.
The float was shotted with 4BB all around the base of the float and no other weights on the line as I was fishing this line with paste only.
For the other three lines I chose to use a
" Sneaky Lifter "
on an Acolyte Plus
 with maggot and hemp lines.
With hinds sight I would have used a
" Tinca Stick "
for better visibility as a lifter was a little overkill regarding sensitivity.
I was using 3 lb main line on the lifter set up with a 16's Drennen Red Maggot hook.

The all in shout came and we were off.
Eagle and I were in the fish from the off
!!!!!!
We where catching small mirrors and F1s,
golden rudd, tench, ide, perch . . . . all sorts.
After two hours my main swim was dying a little and I guessed I had about 20 lb in the net.
I had another peg baited up at 18 metres and alternated between the main swim, the 18 meter swim and and the end of the rod tip swim which I caught mainly
 " Fairground fish "
 from but did throw up a few chunky F1's and ide.
One hour left now. . . . .
And i had estimated I had around 40lb in the net.........
time to hit the inside line near the bushes.
I wasn't that confident that this swim would produce.
After three hours of feeding I had not seen one bubble or indication of fish in the swim.
My lack of faith was unjustified.
On my first drop in the bush peg the rod hooped round violently. . . . Never mind the float as a spirited mirror headed for the sanctuary of the reed bed further along the peg
 !!!!!!!!!!

Some of my days catch.
 
It was one a chuck down the side for the last hour.
Fantastic fishing although a little easy.
I was the first to be weighed in.
Old John and Mumfy were the weighing team and the banter was in full flow.
" Who is this new kid you allowed on our match Mumfy. . . .
He's got two bloody nets in
chuckled
"Old John "
🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣
There was a 60lb fish limit per net.
I was just playing safe.
πŸ˜‰

Don't think my home made roving river seat went down to well on the match scene.
πŸ˜‚
My peg for the day
My weight was 72lb.
I was happy I had done enough to at least frame.
Eagle was next to weigh in.
He said he was struggling all day but he is a notorious lier when it comes to matches.
He kept saying
" Machine "
" Machine "
and giggling to himself.
 I think its his new medication
!!!!!!!
Machine ment
" fishing machine "
😲😲😲😲😲

Eagle in full affect !!!!!!!!
He weighed in with 120lb.
A brilliant days fishing by any standards.
I was pretty sure we had bagged 1st and 2nd and that proved to be true.
Old John was 3rd with 65lb and
" Ronny The Bastard "
was 4th with 55lb
.
Some of Mumfys crew.
We had a good laugh and said our good byes.  " Bill "
at the rear in the picture
dished out a load of blueberry muffins which were very tasty and
" Old John "
 said I was welcome to come anytime but
" Eagle was banned " !!!!!
Hahahhaha.
He has been with them before.....they call him the ringer
 !!!!!!!!
😲
🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣
Think I will book on a few more before the summer ends.
😁
Finished off with a well earned beer before
I took
T.O.W.M.B.O
(The One Who Must Be Obeyed )
out for a curry.
TTFN


Peanut.

If you would like to look at my handcrafted floats just hit the link.

Join our club......Its FREE !!!!!!!


Comments

Popular Posts

HANDCRAFTED FLOATS & FISHING EQUIPMENT 2021-2024

Mini Driftbeaters....The Christening

River Irwell PB On A New Mini- Alloy Stem Avon