Stick Float Roaching On The The River Ribble

A long awaited session on the River Ribble finally came off this week.
I had arrange to meet
Pete Bell
A.K.A 
" Ribble Pete "
A great float angler who knows the lower river like the back of his hand.
I arrived at the river at 07.30 . . . . around an hour after sun up.
" Ribble Pete " 
was there since 06.00 with his usual set up. . . 
Tip rod upstream and his stick rod in front.
As I arrived Pete was netting a lovely roach of around 10 ounces.
" Arite Miiiiike. Long time no see "
Came the friendly reply in a broad Bolton accent from beneath the olive green umbrella.
" Glad you made it Mike......they are really having it this morning surprising really as the river is well up but if it rise more than another six inches on top of what it is now it will kill the fishing so don't mess about and get fishing next to me.

Having received my instructions from the 
Ribble float master . . . . . . . 
I jumped on the peg upstream from Pete and was having an experimental trot.
When Pete shouts over . . . . 

" Start off at 6 feet deep Mike. . . . . 
and find where they are feeding yourself "

These were wise words from Pete as I usually start off at mid depth and alter accordingly depending where the fish are.
  I continued to enjoy the morning. The weather was terrible though. . . . I don't like fishing under an umbrella so I was getting wet from the off but after 15 minutes of trotting and friendly banter between myself and Pete my 
" Retro Stick float "
bobbed and then disappeared into the chocolate depths of the River Ribble.
After some spirited resistance a fin perfect pristine roach was in the net.
With a quick shout to Pete to let him know I was off the mark I concentrated on learning this runs peculiarities.
By this time Pete was catching on both the tip and the float rod and building up a nice weight of dace and roach.
I had bumped a few fish so I was changing my hook from an 18's to a 14's red maggot hook.
This change seemed to work a treat and I had a nice stream of  six ounce roach in the net.
Retro Stick Floats.
Two more of 
" Ribble Petes " 
friends had arrived by this time. 
Collin and Tony.
Both set up downstream from Pete one on the float the other on the tip.
My swim had died a little so I added some depth to rig and a quartet of pristine roach followed . . . .
" This is more like it " I thought. . . .but the peg died again !!!!!
I played around with the depth once more  trying to find the feeding fish.
In passing I looked at the log to my left and stopped......looked......looked again . . . . . . 
and then the penny dropped !!!!!!
The river was rising and colouring up. I was fishing a little to far out as the fish would be moving closer to the bank to keep out of the main flow. 
 I made a shorter cast to find the feeding silvers. . . . . . . .
The float buried half way down the run and I meet SOLID resistance !!!!!!!!!
I thought I was snagged at first . . . . .
but then it moved slightly . . . . . .
" Jesus . . . . . . .this is big " I whispered . . . . .
and the adrenalin kicked in.

" Is that a fish Miiiike " ??????

came the shout from Pete.
As he asked the question the solid resistance I was connected to began to move upstream at some pace.
I then answered Pete's question . . . . 
" Yes Pete. 
I have got a right LUMP on pal "
😁
With a grin in my direction Pete turned and informed the other lads what was occurring they both shuffled along the banking to see the action unfold.
I was hoping that it was one of the resident big bream or chub that sometimes frequent this part of the river but that was my hart talking. 
My head was saying it's a pike that I was playing. . . . 
Just by the way it was fighting !!!!!!!!
After a ten minute battle I managed to get the fish to the surface. . . . . .
" Woooow mike that's not a bad one " said Pete as it surfaced next to where he was standing.
" Grab your landing net Pete, do the honours and net her for me will you please mate "
I asked. . . . . . . 
A minute later she was in the net . . . . . . 
All the lads gave their congratulations and Pete helped me keep the beast under control while I un-hooked her.
Lol
😉
We took a few snaps and weighed her.
10 lb on the nose.
She was a short fat fish and gave a cracking fight in the swollen river and certainly put the new 507 under considerable strain
!!!!!!!
I had another 3 lb ish of roach after that but that was it as the river had come up another six inches.
Tony and Collin were packing up and had had enough so I followed suit. 
I was drenched to the bone......but happy . . . . Lol.
7 lb of quality roach and a 10 lb pike caught on my new 
ABU 507 MK2.
A great christening for the new reel and it answered all the questions I asked of it.

Me and Pete.
A quick selfie.
😁
Petes 15 lb of silvers
Until the next time. . . . .

TTFN

Peanut.


If you would like to look at my handcrafted floats just hit the link.

Join our club......Its FREE !!!!!!!
http://salfordfriendlyanglers.co.uk/join/



Comments

Post a Comment

Any comments here please.

Thanks.

Popular Posts

HANDCRAFTED FLOATS & FISHING EQUIPMENT 2021-2024

Mini Driftbeaters....The Christening

River Irwell PB On A New Mini- Alloy Stem Avon