Manchester Perch Hunt Part 2

A long awaited trip saw me trundle off down the M62 motorway to meet Neil Johnson for a perch hunt we organised a quite a while ago.

I got up late so the traffic was terrible on the motorway but I arrived . . . . eventually . . . .at Neils perch pool. 
I had not seen Neil for over 12 months so we said are hellos and quickly caught up with things . . . .he makes a lovely cuppa which we had two of while we swapped a few fishy tales while setting up our kit.
Not to mention a bacon buttie !!!!!!!!
They like to take care of themselves these specimen boys don't they
lol
 ! ! ! ! !
🥓🥓🥓🍽🍽🍽
We were live baiting for perch today using my larger perch bobers.
I was named as
 " Head bit basher "
and was in charge of catching the live bait we were to be using for this session while Neil chucked a few lures about.
My bait tray consisted of pinkies and a little ground bait.
Just what you would expect to catch some small silvers on.
I resisted the temptation to use a pole and chose the rod and line approach. My set up consisted of an Acolyte Plus rod, an Abu 506M reel and a
" Sneaky Lifter Float"
This is a small float taking
3 no 1's
&
3 no 8's
Fishing about 3 rod lengths out in approximately 4 - 5 feet of water, on and off the first shelf.
This is a great set up for silver fishing in the winter months and I was confident I could get them feeding.

It started off very slow. . . . . . lol !!!!!!
I was in charge of catching the live bait . . . .
but I couldn't get a bite for the first 40 minutes and when I got one . . .
I dropped it back in the pool.
😕😕😕😕😔
🤣
It took another fifteen minutes before I finally got two skimmers for the live bait rods. . . .
Out they went . . . . and it was game on !!!!!

I carried on fishing the silver line as I was enjoying myself. The silvers were slowly turning on to the feed after over an hour !!!!!!!!
The bailiff arrived and we rummaged around in our pockets for some coin.
Within a minute of me plonking my large rump down on my seat I heard a very deep, very serious voice say . . . . . . .

" Mike . . . . . Perch "
!!!!!!!!!
I scrambled over to Neil quick as a cat.
As I arrived I saw a lovely site !!!!!!
Neils rod had a VERY healthy bend in it and just above the surface of the water his fluorescent orange bobber was dancing around under some considerable strain !!!!!
Neil look at me quickly with a massive grin on his face !!!!!!!!!
" This is a good one . . . . .  it really is "
 said Neil.
I could see him shaking slightly so I new it was not an over estimation !!!!!!
As the fish rose in the water column it gave its presence away with a
MASSIVE golden flash
then she bored deep one more . . . . . . . .
😲😲😲😲😲

" Jesus . . . .  That's a creature Neil " . . . I said
" I know Mike . . .
I just hope she stays on " Neil whispered . . . . . .
full concentration etched on his face. . . . .
Neil had nothing to fear.
Within a couple of minutes she was safely in the net.....
" Yeeeeeeeessssssssss "
We both gave a little cheer 😁😁😁
One and a half hours and our goal had been accomplished !!!!!!!!
 ( By Neil anyway.......lol )
She weighed in at 3 lb 7 oz with the sling.
3 lb dead without it.
( I would have given him 3 lb 1 oz . . . .
 but don't tell him . . . Lmao )

We were both buzzing ! ! ! !
" I told you they were here Peanut " he said with a grin.
😊
The next few hours were spent building up my silver line and keeping a very close eye on
 MY BOBBER
 !!!!!!!!
Alas . . . . . .
I didn't have a touch on the bobber all day.
😕
I did, however, have a lovely February
surprise
 !!!!!!!!
A beautifully brace of
Crucian Carp.
😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁
Only small......around 6 oz but lovely all the same
Neil had a few plucks on the lure rod but no fully blown takes on either of his rods.

I, however had built up a respectable net of silvers on pinkie.
Around 8lb minimum I am guessing.
😊
 The perch proved elusive for me today but I will be back . . . . 
With Mr Johnson no doubt !!!!!
😉😉😉😉😉😉

PS : It was not a great start at the perch pool in more ways than one . . . . .lol . . . .
 Look !!!!!
Maggots escaped in my caryall
😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
Until the next time. . . . . 

TTFN

Peanut.


If you would like to look at my handcrafted floats just hit the link.

Join our club......Its FREE !!!!!!!











Comments

Popular Posts

HANDCRAFTED FLOATS & FISHING EQUIPMENT 2021-2024

Mini Driftbeaters....The Christening

River Irwell PB On A New Mini- Alloy Stem Avon