Manchester Grayling Session - Round 1

Well,

I finally got around to my first ever session targeting grayling.

I got to Jayzs around one ish and we decided to go in my car to save any messing

Jayzs had minimal tackle. A small tip rod a bag and a chair. He was practising his upstream feeder fishing today to enable us to have a social fish together.
 I was, of course, on the float.

As we tackled up Jayzs threw down the gauntlet and crowed ........

" I'll bet you 5p that I catch a grayling before you set up Mike "

Now I am a bit daft but not daft enough to take a bet from and angler of his calibre after a species I have never caught.

" Not taking that bet pal. You must have watched me tackle up before " I laughed.

As I finished setting up my rig Jayzs chuckled and said  . . . . 

" You should have took the bet Mike. I haven't had a touch yet ".
" That's a little concerning " !!!!!!!

I laughed and proceeded to show him my new

 " Creature Reacher Specimen Float Rod ".

" Your not using that today are you Mike " with a questioning look my way !!!!!!

I am pal, I am.
I know I shouldn't really as the Acolyte Plus is far better suited for today but I just can not help my self !!!!!!!

Jayzs just smiled and  muttered
" Boys & their toys " . . . .

I also showed Jayzs the float I had chosen for the session.

It was a small yellow Irwell stick with a pearlescent jay feather inlay.

It takes around 5 number 4's and is one of my favourets.

On my second trot down Jayz tip rod pinged round and he was into his first fish.
( He was only a little out with his timing . . lol )

" I think . . . . . . . . . . . . . this may be our target species  " said Jayzs with a cheeky grin.

I quickly got my landing net ready as the fish surfaced and give up its identity.

Jayzs skilfully drew her down stream across the the waiting net as I scoped up a beautiful grayling.

" I was getting worried then Mike. I usually get loads more bites from this run "
 said Jayzs !!!!!!

Well, we have one in the keep net now pal. Mission accomplished, for you anyway  "

I was in know doubt he would catch one. He has caught hundreds of them over the years !!

" That's me done then Mike. You have got to catch one now ".

The fishing on the day was very slow. Jayzs only had a couple of bites after that fish.
I had yet to so much as a bob !!!!!!!

As you can imagine the talk between us was all fishing. Mainly about grayling but we also took time to talk about float making. Jayzs has had a dabble and will probably do so again....... 😊

We were half way through the session discussing something or other when my  Irwell Stick bobbed under and I was in. A short battle saw a bend put in the
" Creature Reacher " all be it a small bend..... and a nice little brownie was safely in the net.

" Not a Grayling Jayzs but better than numb fingers . . . . ."

" Out of season spoties do not count Mr Cootes. You shall have to do better......."
We both laughed at that as I was just happy to get a bite for the time being !!!!


I had started to struggle with my floats presentation so I changed my rig to a heavier setup. Still an Irwell stick but larger than the standard ones taking around 10 No 4's


A slight down stream wind had picked up. The extra weight capacity of this float would help presentation, plus, I added a couple of back shots for further aid.
This seamed to do the trick as 10 minutes later I had another positive bite.

A quick strike and I was in again........

" This could be a gayling Jayzs " . . . . . . . .

Jayzs just watched as the fish rolled near the surface then dived once more into the depths . . . . .

 " It looked a little brown to me Mike " said Jayzs with a knowing smile !!!!!!

He wa referring to the belly of the fish and a minute later my hart sank once more . . . . . another out of season brownie . . . . . . .
Time was ticking on and I was getting frustrated. The light was fading and feet and fingers of both anglers were getting numb.

I ended up with 5 brownies . . . . Which didn't count.......

" I think we will call it a day Jayzs "
 and I admitted defeat . . . . . .

" Jayzs 1 PurplePeanut 0 "

" It gves us a chance for another meet up Mike. May be on a different Manchester river next time ay ". 😉

I perked up at Jayzs future invite and planed

" Round 2 of Peanuts Manchester Grayling Hunt "

I enjoyed his company very much.

" We shall do it again pal very soon ".

It was on the way back to the car that we realised that we hadn't taken a picture of Jayzs grayling.

" DOOOOH "
Until the next time..........


Ps : Jayzs has his own fishing and wildlife blog and its a good one. Take a peak.
😊😊😊😊

http://byjayzs.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/new-stuff.html?m=1


TTFN


Peanut.

If you would like to look at all of the hand crafted floats I make please click on the link below and it will take you to my float page.

http://purplepeanut007.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/hand-crafted-floats-float-making-by.html?m=1


Join Salford Friendly Anglers for free and help us fight pollution.

http://salfordfriendlyanglers.co.uk/join/



Comments

Popular Posts

HANDCRAFTED FLOATS & FISHING EQUIPMENT 2021-2024

Mini Driftbeaters....The Christening

River Irwell PB On A New Mini- Alloy Stem Avon