Grayling Hunt - River Irwell

Hi all,

Recently I made two sets of floats for Dave Riley. 

Three Avons, three Barbel Sticks and a new Standard Maggot/Caster Stick

 Arrangements were made for a day out trotting so we met up with for a few hours chasing Ladies on my local river.

This was Daves first time targeting grayling and had never caught a one by design and never on the float.

Armed with his new floats & Youngs B.J.Pin we spent a pleasent few hours in the brilliant sunshine trotting some new new sticks.

Unfortunately the day started badly with me snapping six inches off my Acolyte Plus.

I tightend the line to slide my float up the line and the tip parted and slid down to my float......I am very careful with all my rods so I will be contacting Drennan to see why this has happened!!!!!!!

Anyway, back to fishing.

It is the first time Dave and I have fished together so, after a terrible start we started to fish.

The first pool was a big let down, both of us leaving biteless, the second pool just as bad!!!!!

I was starting to feel the pressure on the third run.....Again we drew a blank...

" Dave, One last run to try. Lets get you an Irwell Grayling". 

"Ok pal"

Dave replied.

He was not really that bothered as he was playing with his new toys and glad just to be outdoors watching the kingfishers zooming past in their metallic turqoise livery!!!!!

Dave lingered in his current pool while I tried the last one.

After thirty minutes the rod was nearly ripped out of my hands as a massive trout hit my maggots......but, unfortunately I failed to connect.

I could have kicked myself as bites were proving very hard to come by.

🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺

As Dave rocked up and I told him of the near miss with the one that got away and with renewed hope we settled in to a social fish together.

Dave is a barbel tip man a very different kind of angler than myself but has a love of the River Ribble so we have a lot of common ground.....

An hour passed on the last run resulting in a few chewed maggots, a very dissapointing day really.

I was chunnering on about turning float bodies when I felt a frantic tapping on my shoulder......

Dave was into a grayling at the death.

I was buzzing for him.

I scampered to fetch the landing net shouting 

"Don't bloody well lose it mate"

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Within a minute Dave puched ther air.

With his new toys he had his target fish for the day, an Irwell Grayling, a more regular sight in the river these days. 

I really think these fish are getting estsblished now, fingures crossed they are here to stay and will continue to put on weight.

I helped Dave with a few pics then got fishing while he rested his little lady.....and would you belive it, they were like buses !!!!!!

The next run down with my broken Acolyte I was in to. 

So we had a double hook up. The two fish were like peas in a pod.






Daves floats.



We both lost two other fish each but never banked another. A very hard day in all honesty.

We parted company anout 21.30 with promises of future barbel and grayling adventures.

Lets see what the autum brings Dave.

PS: Nice to meet you Paul. We may bump into each other at the SFA meeting if I can make it.

TTFN



  Peanut. 

Please subscribe if you would like regular updates of my adventures with the floats I make.

 If you would like to look at my handcrafted floats click on the link below.     https://purplepeanut007.blogspot.com/2021/02/handcrafted-floats-fishing-equipment.html?m=1

    Join our club......Salford Friendly Anglers...........Its FREE  
!!!!!!! 




Comments

Popular Posts

HANDCRAFTED FLOATS & FISHING EQUIPMENT 2021-2024

Mini Driftbeaters....The Christening

Lathe Made Pike Bobber - First Effort. . . .😊