Roach On The Ribble With Andrew Boyne

I have been struggling to get on the river I want to lately due to the rain but a conversation with Andrew Boyne got my batteries charged and my mojo firing !!!!!
The Ribble was at least 2 metres up at 12.00 pm last night so this was going to be a proper gamble !!!!!!
The alarm went off at 5.30 and a quick check on the river level revealed that is was dropping fast !!!!!!
" This could pay off " 
I thought.
I headed off down the M61 to meet Boynie.
He was waiting for me at the some noted pegs.
" She dropping fast but still high Mike" came the enthusiastic deep mumble from Mr Boyne as he scanned the rivers features.

We both pondered the runs in front of us for a moment.
" These are not for me today Mr Boyne "
said I.
" I am going further upstream " 
Boynie fancied a further walk so we left the well know fliers and headed to the pegs we thought more suitable.
Boynie was the first into a fish, a good dace, then another and other while I hadn't had a bite , then a fish a dace like Boynies,
about 3 ounces.
Boynie kept catching but I was struggling
!!!!!!!
I then got the call......
Mike, Mike,
and a big grin appeared on Boynies face
as I saw the arch in his hand crafted stick rod.
After a good scrap in the swollen river a roach touching a pond was popped in the keep net with the rest of his growing catch.
I wasn't happy....!!!!!!!
Lol.
I decide to move about 20 minutes later after only about 20 small dace and roach.
On the new run I had 14 fish on the bounce then nothing !!!!!
I couldn't figure it out !!!!!!
Boynie came over then saying he was having a bash for the pike so I decided to fish for silvers next to him.
I didn't fancy the peg near the pike pegs but started feeding anyway and got into my rhythm enjoying the social side of this day out.
I was fishing tight to the bank in about 2 feet of water hoping the roach where sheltering out of the main flow. After around 10 minutes trotting, the new
Slimline Roach Float
I was testing slid under and I was into something I have not caught on the Ribble for years.
It felt like a big chub in the flow but the first roll gave it away as Boynie watching proceedings closely form higher up the bank.


" Oooh yes Mike. It's a proper roach that one ".
 
I VERY carefully played it as I am REALLY out of practise when it comes to playing good roach in flooded rivers but my concern was unfounded as I slipped the net under her and my task for the day was done.
A nice roach of 1.25 lbs on my first trip out with the new floats.....
Boooom.
😁
New Slimline Roach Sticks below.
It's a good job I caught that fish as I was well and truly beaten by Andy on the weight front but I think I got the biggest fish of the day......just.
😉
The next time we are out it will be for the ladies.

TTFN


  Peanut. 

 If you would like to look at my handcrafted  click on the link below.     https://purplepeanut007.blogspot.com/2017/01/handcrafted-floats-and-fishing.html?m=1   

    Join our club......Its FREE  !!!!!!! 




Comments

  1. Hi Peanut
    Really good read! I am currently writing a feature about the Salford Friendly Anglers, and think your perspective as a writer about fishing could be really useful.

    Would love to hear back from you, I've sent you a Facebook message!

    Fraser 🙂

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Any comments here please.

Thanks.

Popular Posts

HANDCRAFTED FLOATS & FISHING EQUIPMENT 2021-2024

Mini Driftbeaters....The Christening

River Irwell PB On A New Mini- Alloy Stem Avon