River Irk - Manchesters Future Gem.

Irwell Sticks On The Irk !!!!!!!!!!!!

With a spare couple of hours this morning I headed of to the River Irk for the first time. I new it was going to be a VERY difficult couple of hours as the fish population density is minute, a lot less than the Irwell and would benefit from some stocking.......If you are listening........ E.A. .........!!!!!!!!

A few brave pioneering souls like Phil Clayton , Michael Duddy, Adam Mack , Richard O'Riely & Paul James to mention but a few have lead the way regarding this little River so with big shoes to fill I headed off for my first session.

I had looked at the river the day before and it was virtually un-fishable 4ft up,  batting through and deep chocolate in colour. Today, however, she was still carrying extra water but had dropped to about 1.5 feet above normal levels and just had a bit of colour. She looked pretty good to be honest so I grabbed my gear from the mighty Megan and made my way to the first run hoping for a chub, perch or even.......the fish that can not be named......pmsl.

After a biteless 40 minutes on the first run I decided to move. Five minutes later I dropped in again. Another 30 minutes without a bite and it was becoming a gruller. Not a sniff of a fish and none topping. I was starting to get disheartened and quickly realise what a feat the above names had pulled off !!!!!!!!!

I quickly packed up an strolled off to the third run. This looked a good one, very cubby with overhanging trees on both the near and far banks plus a smooth glide in between the trees. " Got to hold fish this run " I muttered to myself......... With another 30 minutes without so much as a bob I was thinking about going home for a brew and some cheese on toast as I had skipped breakfast to get out fishing.

" Come on Cootesie ".............
" You new it was going to be a tough one today " I thought to myself.

So I walked another 50 yards to the penultimate run.

This had overhanging bushes in front of me and looked as good a run as any I have seen on the little Irk. Ten minutes trotting past the over hanging bush produced.........NOWT. I looked at my phone. I had an hour and a half left to scrape a fish.....any fish......to save the blank.

I changed tact and started fishing the centre of the river. It was a little deeper here and I altered my depth accordingly. I also halved my feed but upped the frequency. Within a couple of minutes the Irwell Stick disappeared from view. I thought I had hooked the bottom and proceeded to give the rig a quick strike to free my gear. It was then that my Acolyte hooped over and I felt the thump, thump of a good fish on the other end of my rig.

 " Jesus, I don't believe it, I'm in " !!!!!

The fish thumped twice more , felt like a chub and with a swirl surfaced. It was then that the line went slack .......and she was GONE. I will never know what she was  :(

I was gutted. I has surmised that I would only get one or two chances at a fish on this river as there are very few in it. Cursing and swearing to my self at being such a clampit. I re-baited, feed and cast again. As soon as the stick entered the
" Killing zone " the float bobbed twice and buried again. I struck and thank god I was into another fish. I took it really easy with this  fish as I as desperate for pictorial evidence of an Irk fish for my pals and my blog. I SHOULD have treated the fish as I normally do and took the chance because within a minute of being extra careful with the second fish she was off.......

I was FUMING with my self.

I had hooked two fish on the Irk and lost both of them. Now I really did feel like packing up !!!!!!!!!

Like I said, I don't think you will get too many chances on this river and you have to take them.

I  kept the faith and plodded off, shoulders haunched to the last run I had scouted out the day b4.

The first 10 minutes I got ............NOTHING.....

" This is a tough river I thought. I moved down steam another 30 feet, introduced some bait and sat down. I kept feeding for 20 minutes to give the fish 
( If present ....... lol ) some more confidence. After twenty minutes, with MY confidence at rock bottom I let my little Irwell stick dance down the last run of the day. Half way the run........

BOOOOOOOOSH............

The Irwell stick disappeared, I struck and I was in again. I just prayed I could land this fish. She gave a cracking fight. No tail walking , just a constant underwater battle, kitting all over the swim, into and under a rubbish raft, under trees and anywhere else she could find. I finally guided her over my waiting landing net an my River Irk cherry was finally popped...........

I was ecstatic..........

I had landed my first River Irk fish and couldn't wait to tell Phil Clayton    :)


My thanks goes out to all  who have fought tooth and nail to keep this river from continuous pollution.

We ALL still have to keep a close eye on this slowly improving little gem of a river. I have only just scratched the surface of this little beauties potential.
In a few years it could be the centre piece of the SFS's waters....

IF YOUR NOT OUT YOU'LL CATCH NOWT.

So get on the Irk if you brave enough, see if you can catch a fish out of the once most polluted river in Europe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
......................

If you would like to look at all of the hand crafted floats I make please click on the link below and it will take you to my float page.

TTFN
Peanut.

http://salfordfriendlyanglers.co.uk/join/









Comments

Popular Posts

HANDCRAFTED FLOATS & FISHING EQUIPMENT 2021-2024

Mini Driftbeaters....The Christening

River Irwell PB On A New Mini- Alloy Stem Avon