My Biggest Irwell Fish To Date - Little Britain Anglers - March 2014.

BIGGEST IRWELL FISH TO DATE.  12.03.14


Had a couple of hours on the Irwell in (Little Britain Anglers Stretch on Wednesday 12th March. In typical "Peanut" style all best laid plans fell apart. I was planning on fishing from 10.00 - 12.30 just a quick season to see if I could winkle out a chub. Firstly, I was late, which I hate being & had to be back at...................

" The Place Where Smiles go to dye"

Formally known as work for 13.45....:(

I arrive at the Elton Tackle shop bang on 09.00 and the bugger was shut !!!!!!...Bo##ocks...... So, after a few shall we say " Choice words " I sped off to Fisherman Way which Thank The Lord was open for business. With a pint of grubs and some bits and bobs I high tailed it off back to Radcliffe where I had planed my short river session. By the time I got there it was 10.45 and my plans were falling apart rappido . I was not a happy little Peanut at this stage............. :(

A quick natter to my latest best mate ( The club chairman & owner ...... lol) and I had my peg selected and method sorted..........:)



The river looked perfect and the selected swim was a lovely deep ( For the Irwell ) hole / glide. About 5.5 ft deep shallowing up to a load of rubbish on the bottom. Ummm, could be a bit tricksy this one !!!!!!!!!!!!! Not to be petered I quickly tackled up.

An 8 no 4 stickfloat, 6lb line straight through and an 18's hook was selected coupled with my favorite 14 ft Connoisseur X & a Marco Cortesi Centerpin ......I was ready to dance !!

Third trot down had a few bobs on the stick and I hit it. A clonking great minnow came in. Not what I was after but at least it was food for the chub. Hahahah.......;)

The day was turning out beautiful and I was regretting not booking the full day of from "The Smile Graveyard " when my stickfloat buried and a solid weight was felt all the way through the Connie X .............." Yes I'm in " and then...................... all hell broke loose !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...... :o

I could tell it were a goodun just by the bend in the rod - It was maxed out !!!!!!!! The fish then un-unexpectedly shot straight out of the water in front of me and tail walked up the river........"Jesus" I thought . Look at the size of that.............. Its a creature............. With my finger rapidly turning the pin trying to keep in touch with the fish all I could do for the first 2 minuets was watch. I just hung on for dear life - and that's on 6"lb line straight through !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It then started head shaking and spinning trying to break me off. All this was happening in crystal clear water. I could see every little head shake twist and turn. This was an angry bugger for sure...................I had hooked something special
(For me ). After about 7 mins it was starting to tire . Just then my phone went off to the top tune of " A Guy called Gerald. Voodoo Ray" It was my boss returning my call. Ignoring the 80's club anthem resonating from my trouser area I managed to get the fish in the slacker water at my feet........O.M.G........I thought, it was a huge beautifully patterned brown trout. Shaking like a school kid, I got it in the landing net. Sweet.......my biggest Irwell fish to date.


She weighed in at bang on 4.5 lbs not he biggest wild brown trout in the river buy any means but a sweet capture that gave a fantastic account of its self from a wild river. She was then nursed back to full fitness and released without further a do.

I went on to catch 5 more trout all between 1 & 3lb and lost another 3, 1 a big one about 4lb from a virgin peg.

 
Sorry about the pics. They are off my old Blackberry.


No chub unfortunately but a day I will always remember I hope you enjoyed reading my post......It was mint day.......and......er.......oh yes......I got the rest of the day off to play with my tackle a little longer LMAO........;).

Thanks for Your guidance Eric.

No Barbs BigFish but a good day pal.



TTFN,

Peanut.



Comments

Popular Posts

HANDCRAFTED FLOATS & FISHING EQUIPMENT 2021-2024

Mini Driftbeaters....The Christening

River Irwell PB On A New Mini- Alloy Stem Avon